Saying “thank you” is a polite formula and one that works. Saying it speaks volumes, and since timing is everything, be on your A-game regarding this expression.
Say “thank you”…
- When you are least expected to say it – it will make you a better person.
- When someone gives you advice or assistance.
- When you make a retail purchase.
- The obvious – when someone compliments you.
- When you make a mistake, say, “thank you for pointing it out.”
- When someone gives you constructive criticism. Yes, even criticism.
- When you’re running late, turn the tables by saying, “I’m so sorry I was late. Thank you for waiting.”
- To comfort someone, such as your best friend whose dog died, say, “Thank you for sharing it with me. I know this must be so hard for you.”
- When you receive unsolicited advice you may not have asked for.
- When in doubt! It can never hurt!
A thank you letter from former French Ambassador to the United States, Pamela Harriman.